Tuesday, September 13, 2005

A SCARY NIGHT


I walked to the window
And looked through the pane
I saw a man watching
At the end of the lane.

He stood there not moving
With wind blown long hair
The light from the moon
Sort of gave me a scare.

My cat was here with me
And I felt secure
When a knock on the door
Made my cat quite a blur.

My cat, Alowishious, took off for the chair
I looked out the window
And the man was not there.

And now my heart started
To beat like a drum.
My feet were like anchors
As I tried to run.

I reached for a hammer
I wanted to cry.
I reached for a phonebook
I wished I could fly.

Again the knock came
My feet would not move.
My hands were all sweaty
Please give me a shove!

Time stopped for my living
The knock came again.
I looked at the door
Should I let the man in?

I took a deep breath,
and now in control,
I walked to the hallway
Like a man on patrol.

My hand touched the doorknob
I turned it quite slow.
The latch made a noise
and the wind it did blow.

The door suddenly opened!
But no one was there.
I looked at the darkness
It was to despair.

There was no one waiting
Not a soul was in sight.
The blackness was deafening
I now had a plight.

I closed the door tightly
and made sure it locked.
I walked through the house
With my eyes and ears cocked.

I looked out the window
The moon was now gone
The wind was still blowing
And there on the lawn,

I thought I saw something
Behind the big tree.
Again I gasped loudly
I wanted to flee.

And now my eyes tricked me
What's not there I saw
Things moved in the bushes
Things moved on the wall.

The time went by slowly
But light finally came
I opened the door
And walked down to the lane.

Nothing was there
To be seen by my eye
So I turned myself 'round
and went back but nearby

I saw a bright flash
In the grass near the door.
I bent down to get it
And to my great horror

I found a man's finger
With a ring still attached
I turned on my heels and
And I ran till I snatched
Up my kitten and got out of there.

We went into town
But told not a soul.
Of our frightening encounter
Of our losing control.

We went to a friend's home
He was quite good to see.
He greeted us with friendship
And we sat down for tea.

We stayed at his house
For as long as we could
We told him the story
And he understood

It's good to have friends
For it may come to be
That you need a safe haven
Like Alowishious and me.



©3/17/2004 Steve Lunsford

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home